Thursday, 13 June 2013

I'm a Bust A Move Kind of Writer

I'm one of those people who's wanted to be a writer since I was old enough to understand what it meant. Throughout my childhood, I wrote story after story and shared them with everyone I could. 

And then I stopped.

I mean, I wrote all sorts of dramatic emo journal entries and some pretty terrible, angst-filled poetry throughout my high school years. But stories? No way. 

It's not that I didn't have ideas. Characters, plots, and settings were constantly tumbling about and weaving themselves together in my mind. But nothing seemed big enough. I was convinced that if I was going to write a book, it had to be amazing. It had to be absolutely life-changing for every single person that read it. People would read my book and WEEP. They would share it with their friends. It would be studied in schools and quoted in daily conversation. Hemingway? Steinbeck? Faulkner? Chumps. 

Whatever I wrote had to be a masterpiece, and if I couldn't achieve Nobel Peace Prize Level Greatness, I was wasting my time.

I quit creating stories for years. YEARS. I kept reading, of course, but I gave up on writing completely. Why even try to live up to the kind of pressure I was putting on myself? 

Then one day, it hit me--sometimes, it's enough just to be entertaining.

Think of it this way: 

Does anyone think Young MC was trying to create life-altering art when he was writing Bust a Move?


It's a song about a guy who tries and tries to get a girl and fails because he can't dance. There's no deep,  hidden message there, but come ON. It's Bust A Move. It was a huge hit. Young MC won a Grammy for it and and people still love it, over twenty years after its release. 

Compare that to John Lennon's Imagine.


This song challenged listeners to imagine a world "with nothing to kill or die for." It was a message of peace, asking all of us to look past our differences and come together as one. It's listed as number three on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

One is fun and light, the other is a poetic, political statement. The two songs are different in nearly every way possible, and people loved them both.

There's just as much value in writing an entertaining story that the reader can escape in as there is in writing the Next Great American Novel. Every book should be entertaining and engaging, but not every book is going to make the reader feel all the feels and end world hunger.

That's it. That one, simple realization changed my life, you guys. I gave myself permission to tell whatever kind of story I wanted to tell in whatever way I wanted to tell it, and BETWEEN was born.

Trust me. BETWEEN is of the Bust A Move variety, not Imagine.

Writing is hard enough without putting unreasonable expectations on yourself. Whether or not you're the next J.K. Rowling, your writing still has worth. You'll never know if readers will connect to your world, your characters, or your prose until you finally take the plunge and commit to your story. Don't give yourself excuses to quit--look for reasons to keep going. 


12 comments:

  1. I know that I was in the room while you wrote this, but I didn't know how much I'd need to read it with my own eyeballs. I love this, and you're totally right. So much pressure to be THE WRITER OF ALL WRITERS, and in that, we stop trying to be ourselves-as-writers.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Back in the day, I was FORCING a voice that wasn't at all mine. When I finally got over it, writing was fun again!

      Delete
  2. This is my exact same story. When I was 9 I decided I would never be a writer because I wasn't Shakespeare. Then I realized there was nothing wrong with simply enjoying writing, even if it wasn't profound. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And now, I'm more like- I don't need to be the BEST WRITER WHO EVER LIVED. I just want there to be people that look forward to reading my stuff.

      Delete
  3. LOVE this post, Megan!

    Totally agree. Nothing kills a writer's mojo faster than unrealistic expectations--at every stage.:) now excuse me while I go Bust A Move...:)

    p.s. So glad you re-discovered your mojo and wrote BETWEEN. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! We put so much pressure on ourselves, I think. But at some point we have to let it go a bit, right?

      Delete
  4. So even though I'm still sitting on your couch, I really loved reading this post. I also know we had a discussion about it, but again I needed to read it. Thanks for really putting in words what I couldn't get out of my head. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I needed this today. And, well, everyday...really. So, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, Megan. And so true. That's a big part of the challenge of evolving into an AUTHOR: figuring out what you're interested in writing about and letting yourself do it.

    ReplyDelete