Thursday, 11 April 2013

The Write Frame of Mind

I know a lot of writers really love the revision process.

In general, I'm not one of them. I love drafting (and I do it SLOWLY), and revisions are typically on a shorter deadline and I stress and I procrastinate and I write and I rewrite and I CRY.

(I do not actually cry.)

(I mean, not usually.)

I generally get to a point where I become a little insane and incapable of normal social interaction, especially when someone asks, "Are you finished with your revisions yet?"



Luckily, I know about this delightful personality trait of mine, and try to do what I can to make myself a pleasant person to live with while I'm revising. When I started my first round of post-book deal revisions on Between, I created a playlist to help me get into the right frame of mind for revising (or the WRITE FRAME HAHAHA WORDS ARE FUN)--just a mix of happy, upbeat songs that didn't really have anything to do with my book. I'd listened to my Between playlist roughly 435928405 times by the time I actually signed my contract with Spencer Hill Press, so I was a wee bit tired of it. I wanted a playlist I looked forward to listening to every day, that would play in the background and keep me happy.

As I dive into the second round of revisions this week, I decided to create yet another playlist and I'm pretty sure I've outdone myself with this one.

IT IS A THING OF BEAUTY.

Based on my research, you cannot be stressed and/or sit still while you listen to these songs. It is scientifically designed to make you happy. It's magical. And even if you're not writing or revising or doing anything you find stressful, it's a great mix to celebrate the end of dumb, gray winter and the beginning of bright,warm spring!



Hope you enjoy it! Do you have any favorite feel-good songs? We all know I could've made an entire mix of my favorite 90s rap songs and been just as delighted by that, right?
Stay tuned for Monday--I've got an interview with the lovely Kelsey Macke about her amazing project, Damsel Distressed, a YA novel that includes it's own soundtrack, Imogen Unlocked! 

6 comments:

  1. Great playlist!! And how awesome that I can follow The Write Notes on spotify and automatically see all of the uploaded playlists! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kels! And yes, spotify is the greatest thing EVER.

      Delete
  2. Needs more Grateful Dead. Seriously. Tennessee Jed (Europe '72) or New Speedway Boogie (Workingman's Dead enhanced). And Gin Blossoms. Lots of Gin Blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making notes of this RIGHT NOW. And I did have some Gin Blossoms on the first revision playlist!! I'll have to share that one some time.

      Delete
  3. Megan, I AM SO GLAD YOU'RE HERE!!!! :)

    And I'm so relieved to see the Imagine Dragons song "On Top of the World" song on your playlist. When I hear it...I totally think of you & your sweet video you posted when you announced the sale of BETWEEN. You rocked the sprinkler.:)

    And yes to Gin Blossoms Mike! <3 them.

    Good luck with your revisions Megan. Back to the copyedit cave myself. *throws cookies around* *runs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynee I AM SO GLAD YOU GUYS INVITED ME!

      And yeah...no "happy" playlist can be complete for me without On Top of the World and Presence of Greatness because they're both in my video and FOREVER LINKED with my book deal and that makes me SO SO SO HAPPY.

      Good luck with your copyedits!

      Delete