Monday, 28 January 2013

Music Monday - The Rural Alberta Advantage

Welcome to…All The Write Notes. As you can tell, we are pretty excited around here, and I am lucky enough to have the honor of getting us started here at ATWN.

So, let’s get to some music…

Music Monday – The Rural Alberta Advantage
Jay C. Spencer   Monday, January 28th, 2013

Finding new music has always been a passion (some call it an obsession) of mine since I was a teen.  I have always loved reading reviews, searching through forums, and spending more money than I would care to admit. That being said, it should come as no surprise to anyone that music is the backbone of my artwork, and my writing.  Without certain albums and artists, I truly believe I could never have gotten to this point with my WIP.

Credit: The RAA
One of those artists, Canadian indie-rock band The Rural Alberta Advantage, unknowingly helped me through the “type everything down even though most of it will be garbage” first draft of my current WIP.  Formed in 2005, Nils, Amy and Paul built a huge indie buzz through their relentless touring of their intense live show. After the success of their first album in 2009, “Hometowns”, and with their dedicated following behind them, I was constantly bombarded with chatter about them at concerts. BTW, my writing thanks whoever you were for being so persistent.

This three-piece, with their rich folk-rock sound, has a spirit throughout their honest lyrics that just hits home with me.  I can recall many morning writing sessions over the past few years, before finding my #5amWritersClub on Twitter, where it was just me, my writing, and The RAA.  After the critical success of their latest album, ‘Departing’, and having already been well received by the likes of Rolling Stone, New York Times, and SPIN Magazine, they are currently in the studio working on their third release.

Now, to celebrate our new blog, we are raffling off a copy of their sophomore release “Departing.” Not just a regular local bought version, but a SIGNED COPY that I had the band autograph when discussing this blog with them on their recent tour with Dan Magnan.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

If you would like to hear more from The RAA, you can find their catalogue at iTunesSaddle Creek Records (US) or at Paper Bag Records (Canada).


What band(s) does this for you? Leave a comment below.

18 comments:

  1. Awesome post Jay! Thanks for kicking us off in style, and with a giveaway to boot. The RAA is fantastic, and I'm so glad to have discovered them--through you!

    Like you, music (and Star Wars LOL) touch all my WIPS and fuel my writing. It's really hard for me to pick just one band, but if I had to, it would be Snow Patrol. The lyrics, the melodies--all . Other artists that have influenced my writing (especially my first WIP)? Jack Johnson,Silversun Pick-ups, 30 Seconds to Mars, and The XX.

    Happy Music Monday! And y'all, go enter to win this CD. You will LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. Great choice in music. Have you heard this acoustic version of New York? http://youtu.be/tDwtfKn5Ljo Have a great Monday.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't heard that version. My day is officially made.:)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I really like the Welsh singer, Jem and the funky San Fran duo, Pomplemoose for this current manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Jaye. Welsh bands rock. Have you ever listened to Stereophonics or The Joy Formidable?

      Delete
  3. I think Bright Eyes is the band that influenced me the most. It was my love of Bright Eyes that lead me to discover other awesome Saddle Creek bands (Cursive, The RAA, Maria Taylor, etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great way of finding music you will love. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Arcade Fire has so many of the themes I relate to as a Young Adult author. I need to write in silence, but listening to their music inspires me creatively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never go wrong with Arcade Fire. We have our fingers crossed here at All The Write Notes that the rumors about their new album not coming out until 2014, are false...

      Delete
  5. AWESOME 1st post, Jay! I'm so glad you've introduced me to RAA. I had no idea they were with Saddle Creek Records - here in Omaha! I love so many of the SCR bands like Bright Eyes, Mynabirds, etc.

    I CAN NOT write without listening to music. You've all listed such great groups! If someone made me choose just one band that influenced my writing the most, like Lynne, it would be Snow Patrol, but I promise to post more than my undying love for Gary Lightbody!

    Go forth & enter to win, peeps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that will be a problem...Who will get to post about Gary?!? :)

      Delete
  6. I'm more lazily mainstream. I listen to old 80s (Pat Benetar is my bff) and new country like The Band Perry and Lady Antebellum...and sometimes crazy stuff like PitBull and Shakira thrown in. I love all music, and especially great lyrics!

    Congrats on the new site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a diverse mix. Something for every scene! Thanks for sharing Becky.

      Delete
  7. It would be much cooler of me to talk about how writing about Justin Vernon is the muse I find to write the most fluff stuff that I need to edit away from... but my first blog post about connecting my personal life to my music was all about Van Halen. Guilty as charged.

    http://pirategeorge.com/2008/09/16/the-first-cut-van-halen/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bon Iver & Van Halen. Who would have thought those two would have ever been put in the same sentence. Thanks for sharing Kent.

      Delete
  8. Love this post! My current MS is mostly fueled by Awolnation and Cassadee Pope's version of Over You from The Voice this past season, but I've been known to throw in anything from Eminem, Mumford & Sons, Of Monsters and Men or even old school Mya. My tastes know no boundaries. Sometimes you just have to flow with where the muse takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Cindy. Love that mix. I totally agree with you. Some mornings it takes quite a few attempts at finding the right album to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and with their dedicated following behind them, I was constantly bombarded with chatter about them at concerts. BTW, my writing thanks whoever you were for being so persistent.
    music saves lives


    ReplyDelete